October 31, 2009

she would set a flashlight out for him every night


condensation on my left eye
by matt freire

she would set a pillow out for him every night
because it’s cold out at night
and a breeze would set in
and the sun would come out
but it did not warm
there is always this chill
there is always this unknown
but don't ask me about it
because I suddenly don't remember

she would set a blanket out for him every night
because its cold out at night
and he would climb the walls
but the walls came down
and he would take the rubble
and he would build a castle
and he got distracted
and he destroyed that castle
but don't ask me the castle’s name
because my mouth will suddenly stop working

she would set a flashlight out for him every night
because it’s dark out at night
and he traversed hidden obstacles
getting farther than otherwise
yet eventually batteries drain of their strength
and the light flickers out
and because he depended on the light so long
he becomes lost
but don't ask how long it took for his eyes to get adjusted
because I momentarily looked the other way

she would set a bowl of water out for him ever night
because its cold out at night
and the water turns to ice
and he tries to warm the ice
because he's dehydrated
but his breath isn't strong enough
and his hands aren't warm enough
and the water stays frozen
and he coughs
but don't ask me if he survived
because I will suddenly lose interest

4 comments:

  1. As our CIC escalates the war, I am reminded of the war i grew up with.I can only pray that the extra bodies come back alive.The mission has crept from find and kill Osama to &*^%$#*????.At this point Matt I only wish you were home.
    Much love,
    Unka

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello brother! I love you and miss you. How are you doing? I was thinking about you just now and i really miss you and hope you are ok and well. Be careful. There are a lot of people here that love you and want you safe. If you want any treats or anything let me know i can send anything to you. Let me know. love you
    Your sister Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt,
    I love your poetic posts. You are so talented with the pen and camera. We pray for your safe return every day. Don't ever stop blogging. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a safe christmas Matt. We love you.
    unka

    ReplyDelete

[eastern europe]

[south west utah]