August 24, 2009

Can you all in the back hear me legibly?


Being in the army and in combat gives you strange characters and situations that occasionally spawn unique verbal discharge. Here is a collection of some of the madness I’ve heard since being here. Some I’ve heard before but this environment gives new meaning to the phrases. I thought you might enjoy.

"I look more hoo-ah from a distance."
Soldiers coming in off a mission were greeted by some high ranking officer, I think a Lt. Col. He told a group of soldiers they looked tired and said, "You don't want the enemy thinking you’re tired now, do ya?" The response was "I look more hoo-ah from a distance," to which the brass had no response.

"I can’t fart with any confidence."
This quote was spawned by the horrid stomach jihad on a coalition soldier.


"60 pounds of light weight shit is still 60 pounds."
This was a 240 gunner’s response to a platoon leader who said, “It won’t be bad. It's only a few kilometers and you only have to take your light weight shit with you.”


"Did you get anything good?"
I’m sure every combat camera soldier has heard this. A POA (Public Affairs Officer) asked me about my photos right after Smitty and I were talking about how after every mission we go on someone is bound to ask if we got any good photos.


"If you have any issues grab a tissue."
A medic told me this when I got the stomach jihad.


“Can you all in the back hear me legibly?”
I was in an operation brief and as I was falling asleep when this line woke me up.


“The situational situation."
This was from the same guy at the same op brief.


“I need water like JFK needed Kevlar."
I heard this during a hot, sweaty dismounted patrol in the markets of Khowst city.


“Get you wetter then water."
I heard a genius mutter this after an air assault; he was referring to a body function in his body armor.


"Some days there are not enough rocks."
I was sitting with the FTF waiting in Sharana for a bird to pick us up and we waited for hours, birds coming and going without us and this soldier was sitting there throwing rocks for a good twenty minutes when he said this. I thought it was funny. Maybe because I was tired or maybe it’s how he said it. Think Forrest Gump.


“You hang with dogs you get fleas."
A soldier referring to people who house Taliban fighters then complain that we raid their house and detain them.


"If you fart again there is going to be a Dustwun part 2."
Locked up in a Mine Resistant Ambush Protectant vehicle for 4 hours with 5 soldiers, MRAPs are good for protection from the outside assaults but not good protection from what's on the inside. Dustwun was an operation looking for a soldier who decided to go for a nature walk and got captured by the Taliban.


"The good thing about being a medic is you feel no pain."
A medic told me this when I had stomach jihad.

2 comments:

  1. These are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have constant stomach jihad!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

[eastern europe]

[south west utah]