August 5, 2009

Words are all of ours yet they can just be mine


Vulnerable
By Matt Freire

So I felt something I haven’t felt before
Vulnerable
I have felt vulnerable before but this is a different feeling
Like you can read my mind and know my thoughts type of feeling
I wish I knew the words to articulate this vulnerability
Having my writings on-line for all to see is nerve-racking for me
I write for myself
I write for release
I write for sanity
I write for fun
I write so my family can see me for my real self

Words are special
They are all of ours yet they can just be mine
I find it fascinating
And the same time frustrating
That I can write something and it can have multiple meanings
One meaning for me
And completely different meanings for others

Fascinating in the fact that I didn’t think of it that way
And yes I can see how you could get that
Or
I can’t even see how you got that from what I wrote
But ok

Frustrating because I didn’t intend for it to be construed that way
Or in that tone
But what can you do

I know that as humans we view everything in unique eyes
Eyes that have seen and experienced the world in different ways
Different horrors
Different shames
Different honors
Different laughs
And it only makes sense that I could write about anything
And it could be taken any which way
The same words could have their own unique meaning
To everyone whose eyes venture
And that is fascinating
And frustrating

I could write Soldier
And you could think mindless thrill seeking
Murderer
Even though I could have been meaning
A person who selflessly sacrifices their time
Even their lives for their country
Their family

Words are so simple and so complicated like humans
And that’s what I love about humans
We are so random
Yet so deliberate
So educated
Yet so stupid
So ignorant
Yet so experienced

That vulnerability I feel
Is human
And it makes me feel good to know I’m still human
And vulnerable


Photos:
A U.S. Army Soldier from the 4th Brigade Combat Team 25th Infantry Division, Focus Targeting Force, looks after detainees during an air assault mission to search the Khost province of Afghanistan during Operation Champion Sword on Aug. 2, 2009. Operation Champion Sword is a joint operation involving Afghanistan National Security Forces and International Security Assistance Forces focused on specific militant targets and safe havens within Sabari and Terezai Districts of Khost province in eastern Afghanistan. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Matthew Freire / RELEASED)

No comments:

Post a Comment

[eastern europe]

[south west utah]